Since the outbreak at China started enhulfing other parts of the world (hardly any place untouched now), I keep going back in time and appreciate the logic of our Ancestors for doing things a certain way.
People , in so called modern society, who ridiculed the old ways and now seeking the older wisdom.
A few thoughts to make my point :
– Trafitional Namstay, considered old fashioned by todays modern society, is now safest way to greet 🙏🏻
– May be 2 generations ago and still in the remote/rural India, people observe the practice of leaving their footwears outside near the main gates. And washing their hands, feet and face thoroughly before entering the house. The logic was to wash off the dirt and grit of the day .
– Would drink water without touching the glass or container
– Would not hold baby or small children immediately after coming from outside, avoiding passing on any germs to them
– Would eat in a thali (plate) served individually to avoid contamination of food for other, as food was eaten using hands
– Hands were washed thoroughly after finishing food. Today napkins have taken our live
– Performing havans and poojas were a norm. The purpose was to purify the atmosphere in and around the house. The pure ghee, camphor and other ingredients used are believed to be natural purifiers.
The list is extensive……
In this testing time if we are mindful and aware of our routine and habits it may go a long way to keep us and others safe.
We can not go back but always adapt some good old practices to sustain in a better way
To be continued…..